Wednesday, October 03, 2007

The Agony and the Ectasy

Today has to be have been one of the most emotional days I've had in a long time. The day can really be split into two pieces, one containing a bittersweet but joyful moment; the other a gut wrenching and torturous display.

First the good stuff. Today was the first day of pre-school for my two boys (I know it's sappy but bear with me). Now my guys are only 1 1/2 years old but are in need of some socializing time to help develop their speech so we got them into this school where they could be around other kids and learn better speech patterns. So why is this a good thing you ask? Well, it's something of a rite of passage seeing your kids take their first tentative steps into the world of education. Now I wasn't there to pick them up but the report from my wife was that their was paint involved, leaves were collected and decorated, and toys were shared at an appropriate level. All in all, a good day.

(mp3) Jack Johnson -- We Are Going To Be Friends (great little kids at school song originally by the White Stripes but my guys like this version better)


Now the agony. Anyone who reads this on a semi-regular basis knows of my love for the Los Angeles Angels. Well today was the first playoff game between the Halos and the Boston Red Sox. So I raced home from work (leaving a ton of things to do and a mass of disappointed co-workers in my wake) to get in front of my big screen TV to watch this game. What followed was 3 hours of sheer torture. There is very little I can do to describe what it feels like to have your favorite team in your favorite sport lay an egg on national TV. I mean they were hapless...just a bunch of guys hacking at pitches and overwhelmed by a clearly superior team. This is why baseball is the cruelest of sports. It takes 9 months for your team to get to the playoffs and within in week it could very well be OVER!!! And yet, being the glutton for punishment I am I will watch again on Friday (and Sunday), in the futile hope that my team will somehow come through. I know it's pathological but that's the price you pay for being a fan...


(mp3) Bloc Party -- The Prayer (Hadouken! Remix) as in the Angels don't have a...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey, thanks for the link to our house of cauldron ! i likes !