Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Why We Blog...

My wife has started her very own blog (you can visit by clicking here). This got me thinking about the whole blogging phenomenon itself. Why exactly do we blog? What is the purpose of putting our thoughts out there for just anyone to read? My wife's take is that it's sort of an inner monologue that we share with others. I would agree except I think of it as nore an inner argument with our own subconcious. I mean, after all, aren't we just putting a carefully crafted piece of ourselves out for display. It's not like most of us who blog with any regularity really give any in depth insight into our lives and our way of looking at the world. Most of us use it as a vessel to spring forth opinions on which band we think is shit or who is the hottest Spice Girl (count one vote for Gerri over here by the way!)
This is not meant to be critical but merely a short rant about just how seriously we should take this whole blogging universe. I mean, come on, just because I read Perez Hilton doesn't mean I believe everything he writes. And just because someone doesn't care for the head coach of the UCLA football team doesn't mean that blogger should be quoted in the LA Times as a source on anything to do with the coach's job. People are taking these blogs way to seriously. It's meant to be fun and meant to entertain others. So I will continue to write about music and TV because it's pithy and has little effect on the world. Hopefully, you will continue to read and keep writing your own pithy blogs so that we have something to enjoy!! But that's just my opinion.
I think this opening line sums up my feelings about my blog pretty well...

No comments: