Monday, March 16, 2009

Irish Eyes are Smiling (Part Four)

While in college around 1993 or so a a couple of friends and I hitched a plane to Ireland to see U2 play a couple of shows in support of "Zooropa". With St. Patrick's Day tomorrow I will most likely dedicate a post the them later but while in Ireland we tried to see another band we had come to enjoy called THE DEVLINS. Here is where music is funny. Come to find out that most Irish music lovers absolutely HATE THIS BAND!! Sure their music sounds like COLDPLAY before they cam along but it can't be that bad, can it?

So here we are in Dublin standing in line at some random club to see what someone had told us was the it band of the moment when we start to chat up a couple of young ladies. Everything is going well until I mention, through some prodding from one of my friends, about how much I enjoy The Devlins. I might as well killed the girl's puppy while she watched. Any cool points I had being a blond from Southern California who could pass himself off as a radio personality went away in a second. I had a better chance of becoming President then I did of continuing this conversation. So I have mixed feelings about these guys. I still like them but they did ruin my one chance to get better acquainted with an Irish lass...oh well.




p.s. This is not the record I wanted to post but I couldn't find their first record in the garage and it's late. SORRY!!!


No comments: