Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Dusting off the Tape Collection (or record as the case may be)

It's funny how things take on a life of their own when time passes. I remember being really enamoured with a piece of vinyl that I picked up somewhere from a UK band called B MOVIE based mostly on the strength of a few KROQ spins of one of their songs. I remember enjoying the record at the time (remember this was the height of the Flock of Seagulls, Depeche Mode, Erasure era of synth music) and I have since kept it as part of my "good vinyl" collection.

The term good vinyl entered my personal cataloguing system right about junior year of college. I had amassed a fair amount of records due to combination of my work as a DJ and the sheer kitsch value of having records. I have never been one to subscribe to the belief that records sound better than CD's, but I enjoy them nonetheless. Good vinyl was stuff I played for my enjoyment rather than as part of a wedding gig of retirement party. Here is where B Movie's only proper record has resided for all these years.


A few days ago I laid needle to vinyl for old times sake. I was shocked at how poorly the album aged. The lyrics (never to be confused with great poetry) are replete with outdated references and bad rhyme scheme. The music is a cross between "Seven and the Ragged Tiger" era DURAN DURAN and BIG COUNTRY. But I recorded the album to disc just for kicks. Damn it all if I haven't played that thing three times in the last two days. I can't explain it. It's so retro it's almost cool. It's like opening a time capsule.


Research on the band says that they feel apart after the release mostly due to lack of radio support. The guitarist was in PETER MURPHY's band for a spell. Other than that they just disappeared. Would greater label support given them a shot at some larger success? Probably not. In listening objectively the record is not very good. But my memories attached to it make it better and a welcome addition to my CD collection.






No comments: