Sunday, July 26, 2009

Going On A 4AD Jag (Edpisode 3)

This should be the end of this mini run of posts (unless THE NATIONAL or BON IVER decide to surprise me with a new release in the next day or so, which I doubt.) There are two tracks that I have been listening to that have me conflicted. Each time I listen I change my mind on how I feel about them. I suppose this is what makes music so unusual; where else can one solicit opposing feelings about something every time you are exposed to it. Many will say that the same can happen with movies and books but I argue that with a song the fact that it will enter your conscience on a variety of occasions gives it a power that other media simply cannot replicate. Anyway, here are the tracks and my takes on them; I always appreciate your thoughts...



ATLAS SOUND is the side project of DEERHUNTER front man Bradford Cox. I have not been a particularly huge listener of his band (though I can see the appeal but it does cut a bit close to YO LA TENGO at times, which is simply ridiculous when you can listen to the real thing, but I digress). What surprises me about Mr. Cox's side project is that even though I had no use for the bedroom lo-fi sound of the first record I am shockingly intrigued by the first song off the new album. "Walkabout" has a summer feel to it of something leftover from the BEACH BOYS' "Per Sounds". My first listen was to dismiss it but each time I listen I find my head bobbing a bit more. What I can't tell is whether or not I will still like it a week from now.



THE TUNE-YARDS are a curious creation. The work of another solo artist this is a creation on one Merrill Garbus. She decided to record the album all alone with the aid of only her laptop and her mic. Her most recent single has me absolutely perplexed. The first time I heard it I hated it. The second time I found it a curiosity. Today I listened to it and I am back to not having positive thoughts about it. I simply cannot make up my mind. It is maddening. Lord knows what I will think about the full album...



Both songs can be sampled here...

No comments: