Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Thom Yorke and The National do the benefit thing

New tracks by THOM YORKE and THE NATION have seeped out on the Internet called "All For The Best" and "Ashamed of the Story I Told" respectively. The songs are from a new benefit CD "Ciao My Shining Star: The Songs of Mark Mulcahey." For those who do not immediately recognize the name Mulcahey was the lead singer of college rock radio's beloved MIRACLE LEGION. Releasing albums throughout the 80's with a sound that was similar in many ways to early REM, Miracle Legion developed a rabid fan base among college radio DJ's and Indie Know-It-Alls. Mulcahey then went on to front the band POLARIS, which gained most of it's fame as the in house musicians for the great kid sitcom the Adventures of Pete and Pete. Recently Mulcahey's wife passed away and he now has to take care of his three year old twins. (Obviously his story strikes close to my heart since my boys are roughly the same age and the thought of raising them alone is truly frightening.)

Anyway the music on these two songs is what you would expect. Yorke's take is full of the moody combination of electronics and acoustics that are his trademark. The National song sounds like it is is right out of the recording sessions for "Boxer". Out of respect I will only post the tracks for a short time. Please order the benefit CD when it comes out on 9/29 and in the meantime you can check out some of Mulcahey's work at his own label site.




Mark Mulcahey Songs found here.


Pre-order the CD here.



p.s. I am aware of the fact that just a few days ago I joked that I was done with the 4AD posting unless THE NATIONAL released something only to have it come true. I will now stop talking about an ANGELS world series win...

No comments: