1) Saw (500) Days of Summer a couple of days ago. This is the type of movie that could have gone very wrong without the right level of chemistry between the leads and a deft touch of direction. Who knew the kid from "Third Rock From The Sun" would grow up to be a solid actor and one can never go wrong with Zooey Deschanel. Two days later I am still replaying parts of it in my head, which comes from the repeated listens to THE TEMPER TRAP, who had a song that was key to the film.
2) As a corollary to that, there is a scene where the lead does a karaoke version of The Pixies "Here Comes Your Man", which got me thinking. Where is the bar in LA that would have that song on the karaoke machine? But a great choice to sing nonetheless. Reminded me I need to listen to the Pixies more than I do these days.
3) FRIGHTENED RABBIT IS COMING TO LA. Next month one of my new favorite bands is playing the Knitting Factory in LA. Considering I did not think they would ever tour this far west this is truly special occasion and will no doubt lead to incessant listening to their stuff for the next month. I can't remember being this excited about a show for a long time.
4) When will Brett Favre just go away? I can't take it any more, I want my Sportscenter back Brett and if you don't shut up bad things are going to happen...
5) In conversation today with a couple of students and teachers the following words were exchanged:
Me: I grew up listening to RUN DMC
Student: Whose that?
Teacher: The guy from Run's House
Student: That guy was in a group
(me silently screaming in my head in an effort not to cry at my apparent new found old age...)
6) Drove in Claremont (city in Southern California) today (had not been there in a long time) and shed a little tear for the fact that Rhino Records is still in business. This will necessitate a trip to one of my favorite record stores of my youth for nostalgia's sake if nothing else.
(mp3) The Temper Trap -- Sweet Disposition (From 500 Days of Summer)
(mp3) Frightened Rabbit -- The Modern Leper (From The Midnight Organ Fight)