Monday, July 17, 2006

The Church, Echo and The Bunnymen and Mogwai

The Church are an Australian band that was somewhat successful in the late 1980's due largely to the song "Under the Milky Way". That album, Starfish, is also were this song is from. I think it is a much better representation of what they sound like and has one of the best guitar solos I've heard. I hear these guys are still making records but honestly I stopped caring after the follow up to this album, Metropolis. But Starfish is defintely worth looking into.
(MP3) The Church - Reptile

Alot of 80's bands are making attempts at comebacks recently. Depeche Mode and New Order both released albums this year and The Cure had a new record out last year. Most times this is done for money or to try to recapture a fan base that has moved on. Usually it is also spurred on by bands that come out sounding a lot like these guys did in their prime. Echo and the Bunymen were probably the most underappreciated of the 80's bands. When they broke up lead singer Ian McCulloch tried out a solo career that went nowhere and a few years ago they got back together. The first two attempts at a comeback met with little recognition so I was skeptical when I heard their latest album Siberia. I was suprised to find a really good album with alot of the signature sound still in tact. Here are a couple of tracks to wet your appetite.
(MP3) Echo and The Bunnymen - All Because of You Days
(MP3) Echo and The Bunnymen - Stormy Weather

You ever come across a song that you can't get out of your head? A song that you hear and hum during the day but can't quite place what the melody is. That's the case with me and the first song on the new Mogwai record Mr. Beast. I've never been much of a fan, just an appreciator of stuff I heard on compilations but this song, which is an instrimental, is so haunting, so majestic I would be shocked if we didn't hear it in a movie sometime soon.
(MP3) Mogwai - Auto Rock

That's all for now, Enjoy!!!

No comments: