Thursday, July 27, 2006

The Next Big Blog Thing

As I am still new to the blogosphere I am amazed at how fast people latch on to a new band and decree them the greatest thing since the invention of sound. So far I've seen it with Sufjan Stevens, Chin Up Chin Up, and Band of Horses. All quality artists now doubt, but are we being a wee bit premature to dub them the best artists ever? Having said all that, I have seen many a posting on the band Midlake. When one blog brings it up I tend to dismiss it. When a band gets several mentions I start to take notice. So having seen about a dozen blogs speak of this band in such high regard I was understandably intrigued (better to be on the bandwagon late than not at all). Having listened to the album about three times now I have to say I'm impressed. Again, I am not labeling them the saviors of rock and roll. But what they do, a combination of old school 70's folk rock with some indie rock off kilter attitude, they do very well. So by all means check this album out. I especially enjoyed the songs "Roscoe" and "Head Home" which has the catchiest chorus I've heard this year.

Brought to you by my friends at the Stuart Staples Experience (see link on the right for more of their musical goodness)

(rar)
Midlake -- The Trials of Van Occupanther


No comments: