Monday, March 14, 2011

Why I Can't Stop Listening to "I Cut Like A Buffalo"

Normally I have dismissed most of Jack White's output other than the occcasional spin of a WHITE STRIPES record. Although certainly a talented musician and a versitile band leader, something about White has always struck me as off. I can't really put my finger on it as to why I have not invested more time in his 0ther outings (THE RACONTEURS, THE DEAD WEATHER) other than his voice is very hard to sing along to. So I was knocked to the floor when I found that I thoroughly enjoy "I Cut Like A Buffalo" from the Dead Weather so much. I have literally listened to it a dozen times in the last couple of weeks. From the bluesy guitar and keyboard open to the suberb way White and Alison Mosshart's vocals mesh to the absurdity of the lyrics, the whole song is pop song nirvana disguised as an old time rock stomp. Here is the live version from Later...with Jools Holland that is about as good as the live.




No comments: