Thursday, June 28, 2007

Random Ned's Atomic Dustbin Post

You ever have bands that, as you peruse your collection you stumble across and go, "Wow, I totally forgot how much I like them?" This seems to be happening to me more and more. Case in point is NED'S ATOMIC DUSTBIN (a serious candidate for best ridiculous band name). When I first came across these guys they looked like the California skaters who hung out at Venice beach because they had nothing better to do then skate and drink. But then I found a copy of their first record "Bite " (later reworked and called God Fodder) and I really dug the whole two bass player thing. "Grey Cell Green" and "Kill Your Television" had great hooks and a nice, vaguely political passion to them. (Kinda like a teenager who wants to get involved in politics by going door to door with a petition because they think it will make a difference).

It wasn't until their tour in support of the record ARE YOU NORMAL? that I got to see them in their real element. The band had such energy and a real connection with the audiance that I really left impressed by the band as a whole. Unfortunately the band couldn't get a real foothold in US radio and was forced to change their sound to meet more commercial desires. By the time they released BRAINBLOODVOLUME the band had lost most of the two bass sound and adopted a more traditional rock sound (even going as far as to use acoustic guitars!!) The only saving grace of that record was "All I Ask Of Myself Is That I Hold Together" which retained some of the orignal fire of the early days. Rumor has it that they are working on a new record so maybe their will be something else to add to my collection that I can overlook and underappreciate.


(m4a) Ned's Atomic Dustbin -- Grey Cell Green (from Bite)
(m4a) Ned's Atomic Dustbin -- Kill Your Television (from Bite)
(m4a) Ned's Atomic Dustbin -- Intact (from Are You Normal?)
(m4a) Ned's Atomic Dustbin -- All I ask of Myself is that I hold Together (from
Brainbloodvolume)

ADDENDUM: This post was conceived about a week and a half ago and it is a mere coincidence that Song, by Toad namechecked them in his recent post. I am not trying to copy him in any way shape or form. It's just that we apparently have the exactly same record collection...sorry about that man.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heh heh - you'll know the 90s revival is in full swing when people start breaking out the Ned's Atomic Dustbin records!