Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Sometimes It Just Takes Time

So I survived my camping trip but I am now firmly immersed in the last Harry Potter novel (only on page 140 or so, so no one tell what happens or there will be dire consequences...), so forgive the infrequency of the posts.
There are songs that I pick up along the way that I dismiss at first for some unknown reason. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for that sound or I got a lot of stuff on that same day and I forgot to really listen to it. I mention this because the other day I was listening to my IPOD as I was reading and the live version of JOSH RITTER'S "Snow is Gone" came blasting through the headphones. Ritter has a Dylan-esque quality to a lot of his sound and I am sure that his new record coming soon will be a massive critical success (new album can be previewed here) but I was amazed at the power and beauty of the song that I had downloaded a long time ago and never really given it's due. I returned to it this morning on the way to work and was still floored by its brilliance (and besides can anyone really resist a good Hammond organ accompanyment to an acoustic guitar?). The song is so simple, so passionate and so uplifting. The recorded version is not quite as good, so do yourself a favor and get this live version, then go back through your music and find a song you forgot about and remember why you got it in the first place.

more live Josh Ritter mp3's here

No comments: