Saturday, August 25, 2007

A Saturday Spent on the Couch

So I managed to spend a large portion of the today glued to my couch, or occasionally my chair, watching movies and bad TV. The joy of this is that I didn't have to think very much and actually saw a few things that I enjoyed that I probably shouldn't have.

The day started with the Kevin Costner/Ashton Kutcher film THE GUARDIAN. The film was about swimmers in the US Coast Guard and despite some horrendous acting by the leads, I was entertained. I guess I'm a sucker for formulaic action movies with plots so obvious a six year old could predict what might happen.

Next up was PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN: DEAD MAN'S CHEST. This was the 2nd of the trilogy and suffered from a terrible plot and more hammy acting than necessary. I've actually seen this one a couple of times before so it was no suprise that I drifted in and out of this on a couple of occasions. But it does have Keira Knightley, and she is hot!!

After that it was MADAGASCAR. This was on for my kids, who loved it. But I also found mysled actually paying attention and enjoying the film. I'm amazed that it seems more and more "kid" movies are really sly adult themed films hidden behind pretty colors. Just because an animated lemur sings "I Like To Move It" doesn't make the song any less lewd. But hey, who can resist dancing lemurs.

Late night brought a channel flip war with APOLLO 13 and REMEMBER THE TITANS. I have seen both of these films several times and really enjoy both. Both tug at the heart strings and both end with positive messages of overcoming the odds. I guess it helps to have actual actors emoting (take notes Mr. Costner) to make a formula film rise above the material.

Overnight I'm recording THE DEPARTED, which I have been looking forward to for awhile. Hopefully it won't disappoint.

Some mp3's to go along with the day...

West Indian Girl --Hollywood

The Postal Service -- Nothing Better

Pearl Jam -- Life Wasted

Eric More Morillo -- I Like To Move It (From Madagascar...what does it say that my kids love this version of this song?)

No comments: